The White House Has Backed Off for Now on New Iran Sanctions
Jan. 1, 2016 (EIRNS)—The Obama Administration has apparently had second thoughts about imposing new, unilateral sanctions on Iran, in response to Iran’s missile test this Fall. According to the Wall Street Journal, the White House sent a notice to Congress on Wednesday, Dec. 30, that it would be announcing the new sanctions at 10:30 A.M. Then another email was sent at 11:12 saying the announcement had been delayed "for a few hours." The final e-mail sent at 10 p.m. said the White House is "considering various aspects related to additional [sanctions] designations, as well as evolving diplomatic work ... and as such we will not be announcing any additional designations today." As would be expected, the leading "critics," such as Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS) reacted immediately, attacking the Administration.
State Department spokesman John Kirby said that missile-related sanctions were outside the nuclear agreement, and are unrelated to threats made by Iran’s saying that in response to new sanctions, Iran was upgrading its missile program. Yesterday, in response to the possibility of new sanctions, President Hassan Rouhani tweeted:
"If [the] U.S. continues its illegitimate interference with Iran’s right to defend itself, a new program will be devised to enhance missile capabilities."