Trump Addresses Ohio Factory Workers, Makes Six Promises
Aug. 7, 2020 (EIRNS)—At an Aug. 6 visit to a Whirlpool plant in Clyde, Ohio, President Donald Trump spoke of the importance of manufacturing, pointed to success in setting import duties to defend American manufacturing, and brought up the fact that in his first week in office, he canceled the Trans-Pacific Partnership. After recounting what he considered to be his successes, Trump laid out six new promises for American workers:
(1) Defeat the “China virus,” the “invisible enemy,” through rapid development of treatments and vaccines, and the domestic production of personal protective equipment (PPE). America must come together to “unite against the plague inflicted upon us by China.”
(2) Rebuild and retool manufacturing. Through the Defense Production Act, the United States is now making thousands of ventilators and has increased production of PPE.
(3) Upgrade domestic drug production and lowering drug prices through renegotiated pricing arrangements.
(4) “We will onshore millions of new manufacturing jobs across many other critical sectors that are vital to our national security and prosperity—from electronics to machine tools, to shipping, aerospace, autos, and, of course, to iron and to steel.” A roll-back of Green environmentalist restrictions on consumer goods: ineffective, low-flow shower heads, dishwashers and washing machines—and incandescent light bulbs.
(5) Bring back factories through tariffs, if necessary.
(6) Always put American workers first. Trump brought up his reshuffle at the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), whose $8 million salaried boss (removed by Trump) had fired American workers in order to hire foreign replacements.
Trump brought up the contrast between his promises and the deadly ones of certain of his opponents:
“To fully restore American prosperity, we must stop the radical left-wing movement that would destroy our country. They want to impose $3 trillion of new taxes on American families. They want to ban fracking, which will demolish your state. It will demolish Ohio oil and gas jobs. They want to rejoin the disastrous Paris Climate Accord, where you’ll pay billions and billions of dollars for the privilege of getting ripped off by other countries; and inflict a socialist takeover of the U.S. economy, known as the horrendous Green New Deal.”