European Union States It Will Take Part in Response to Russian Security Proposals
Dec. 23, 2021 (EIRNS)—Following a discussion yesterday between the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice President of the European Commission Josep Borrell and U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, the U.S. and EU agreed that the European Union will take part in all discussions of Russia’s proposals for European security, an EU statement said Dec. 22. They also agreed that international and regional fora, such as the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), would be appropriate for such discussions, which corresponds to a Russian statement that refers to the OSCE as such a forum.
According to a statement by Borrell’s office, they “took note of the proposals presented by the Russian Federation last week regarding Russia’s views about the possible new security arrangements in Europe. They underlined the United States’ and the EU’s enduring partnership and shared commitments to Transatlantic security and to confronting common security challenges.”
The statement went on, “They agreed that any discussion about European security will happen in coordination and with participation of the European Union.”
Earlier on that day, Borrell made a separate statement welcoming NATO’s offer to hold a NATO-Russia Council to discuss security guarantees in Europe. “The EU will engage with both the U.S. and NATO to ensure its interests are represented in any possible discussion with Russia on European security,” Borrell said.
Although it said the EU would respond “resolutely” to Russia’s allegedly further violations of Ukraine’s sovereignty, Borrell’s statement conceded “at the same time, the EU believes that dialogue, negotiation and cooperation are the only means to overcome disputes and bring peace. Any real discussion on security in Europe must build on and strengthen OSCE and UN commitments and obligations—true pillars of the European security architecture—and not lead to their erosion.”