Marine Corps Units Ordered Out of Kuwait ‘as a Result of Emerging Events’
Oct. 12, 2023, (EIRNS)—The Marine Corps Times reported yesterday afternoon that elements of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), in Kuwait for an exercise, were ordered out early “as a result of emerging events.” Those Marines and sailors, who have been traveling on the amphibious assault ship USS Bataan and the dock landing ship USS Carter Hall, “are no longer in vicinity of Kuwait,” Capt. Angelica White, a spokeswoman for the unit, told Marine Corps Times. They received orders to get back on their ships within 48 hours after disembarking in Kuwait “to prepare for further tasking as a result of emerging events,” White said in an emailed statement. It’s not clear when they left Kuwait, but the spokeswoman indicated that as of yesterday afternoon, they were in the vicinity of Bahrain. She declined to say where they were going.
Their mission would most likely be the rescue of Israeli hostages in Gaza, but National Security Council spokesman John Kirby could not say if any such decision had been made. “We just don’t have enough info to make decisions like that,” he told reporters during a press briefing. “We’re in discussions not only with the Israelis about what hostage recovery could look like but with other allies and partners in the region. There are some countries, like Qatar, that have open lines of communication with Hamas,” Kirby added, indicating that Washington is in touch with Doha about the issue.
As for the USS Dwight Eisenhower aircraft carrier battle group, Kirby would only say “she certainly will be an available asset if needed.”